I was about to re-share a photo posted by When In Manila on Facebook, when a friend of mine here in the US saw it. The image had everything written English, except for one word, which was Epal. I had to explain it and gave the etymology of the word. And I decided to blog about it’s etymology.
What is Epal?
Filipinos have this weird way of turning some words into Filipino slang words by flipping the order of syllables, or flipping the order of sounds, or flipping the order of some letters or all letters. Where that method of creating slang words came from, I don’t know.
Looking at the word epal, this originally started with the Tagalog word for paper, which is papel. When you flip the two vowels, it turns into pepal, and after saying it over and over by various people, for some reason, the first “p” got dropped and turned into epal.
So What if Epal means Paper?
It’s my first week at work, and the week ran by fast since there is a lot of work to do and you barely felt the week pass by. During lunch at Pho Cali, there were several interesting topics that came out and there were many things I also wanted to share, that I didn’t really mention right away not to divert conversations into another direction.
In tough times, I need to reassess the following:
- Cable TV/Internet/Phone – Right now I’m with Time Warner Cable for all TV, Internet and digital land line phone. For cable, I think Cox is not available in my area. But I can do DishTV or AT&T Universe. For internet, the other option is AT&T DSL. For phone, AT&T, or might as well just use a MagicJack so it’s cheaper.
- Cellphone Package – Having an iPhone and several family members under the same plan, I think I am not changing providers, but I might look into the plans more and see whatever additional cuts I can make.
- Data Centers – I have been hosting many websites for many years, since 1997. Reseller hosting, Co-located servers, Dedicated Servers, VPS etc. Maybe it is time to check these out again see where I can save more.
- Domain Name Pricing – I am selling domains for many years at the price $8.88 even before NSI did the last price update on the .com and .net. Maybe it is time to move the price a little up.
- Primary Credit Cards to use – Having various credit cards, some have more interest than others. I have to reassess which ones I should use more and which ones I use less. And which ones I should pay off the whole complete balance right away.
whew, lots of homework for me.
All of us get these spam calls on the phone. And I normally just decline any kind of offer since I am aware of their marketing tactics. It is simple, they normally offer something for free, you use it and if you do not cancel within some number of days, you will be charged automtically.
It does seem that most of these companies make their money from people that forget to cancel and they get charged and eventually will cancel. This does nto sound like a nice long term source of revenue for the company since I believe a majority of people will cancel their subscriptions right away. But they do this in the numbers, just keep on calling and getting more and more people sign up. Even if most will cancel, they will still make a good significant amount of money.
I receive a call from Super Savings / Unicare Auto Club
The call I received was not from a toll free number. It was from a local number: (310) 599-5774. Now that the call is over, I searched online for information on this number and I found out that this number has been used from various offers.
- A Free Pizaa
- Offers in Debt Settlement/Refinance/Consolidation starting by saying they have $6,000 in debt and press 1 to continue.
- Consumer Rewards with som free cash of $100
- $300 Gift Card for Walmart
In my case it was a Gas Card offer with $200 worth of Gas. In todays economy, I was a sucker for the offer. Took a shot and will just make a point I unsubscribe and cancel these services right away and I get to keep the gas card.
During the call, the telemarketer was speaking very fast, so fast that you can barely understand everything. Works similar to the small fine print you see on paper documentation.
But one thing I made a point in doing was interupting in the call and clearing up the numbers and services and company names the operator was telling me. So it does seem I will receive this gas card(s), but in the process you are being signed up on multiple services. If I took down my notes well, it seems I was signed up for:
- Super Savings Club – I should cancel within 7 days by calling 866-682-7658
- Unicare Auto Club – I should cancel within 7 days by calling 866-832-4286
- Vanguard – I should cancel within 7 days by calling 866-684-3931
- National Union – Will not be signed up, but I was told I will receive a call from them for another offer within the next 30 days.
It was clear that I was told within 7 days upon receipt of the mail so I verified how does the letter look like and what is the company on the envelope. I was told it is Red and White and is large would contain a lot of coupons and will have Super Savings and Unicare.
So after the call, as my wife advise, might as well call up the numbers to be sure they exist. I called up and it was beyond office hour and a recorded message said I can call during office hours, which is Monday to Friday, 10am to 5pm eastern time. The funny thing is I called 3 different numbers and yet the recorded message was exactly the same. Exactly the same voice, exactly the same message.
Ok on every search of these numbers, all I get is negative stuff, that this is a scam. And it seems the 310-599-5774 caller has various identities online.
- Using Whitepage Reverse Lookup
Type: Land Line
Provider: Digitcom Services (July 18, 2008)
Location: Compton, CA
- Using Phoneowner.info
Caller ID: Intercon Corp. (July 18, 2008)
Caller: Debt Reducer
Caller Type: Telemarketer
- Posted on Whocallsme.com
Caller ID: CUSTOMER SERVIC (May 19, 2009)
Caller: (caller would not reply)
- Posted on Whocallsme.com
Caller ID: TN Removal List
- Posted on Whocallsme.com
Caller ID: Vista Services (July 9, 2009)
- Posted on 800notes.com
Caller ID: 1-310-599-5774
Caller: Intercon Corp. (July 15, 2008)
Caller Type: Collection Agency
As reported by an independent researcher, the number is shared between Intercon Corp in Compton CA 90221-2140 and is shared between standard telephone line and paging.
From public records, the number is registered to Digitcom Sevices, Inc. filed with the state on July 18, 1995 with filing number 01923292. The company name was changes on February 23, 1999 to DSI Technology, Inc. And again in June 8, 2000 to Wildgate Wireless, Inc.
So let’s see what happens in the next few days, once I get those gas cards, it mission terminate all services. If I get no gas cards, I’ll call up my credit card company and cancel the card.
I just went to the doctors today due to some next pain, mainly the back of my neck, my nape. Somewhere on the rigth side that has been occuring for 1 week already.
I went to the doctor since it was already a week of pain and might be something more serious and my suspected problems were:
- Something related to spine alignment. Pinched nerves due to vertebral subluxations. Can be due to improper posture, non-ergonomic work settings.
- Stress, lack of sleep, related. Just failure due to no rest. Resistance to illnesses are going down, or…
- Blood pressure related. Heart issues, etc.
After going to the doctors today, they did their deductive process of questioning. From previous physical activity, any recent accidents, sudden or gradual appearance of pain and other questions until they decided to give me an Xray.
I have seen many optical illusion images in the past usually playing with angles, perspectives or differences in contrast, but this one plays with distance and with the blurry and clear. Below you will initially see an image of Albert Einstein Einstien since I all assume all of you are reading this blog post from a computer.
Now watch this change into Marilyn Monroe Marylyn Monrow by
I guess everyone has their own reasons to donate blood. Below is 18 year old Jessica Busby who donates blood for more money and possible earn just a little more to help out in gasoline expenses.
San Diego Residents Near Downtown, Make a Change, Safe a Life and Donate Blood on September 9, 2008
I donate blood on a regular basis. Since I am from San Diego I normally go to the San Diego Blood Bank, but this September 9, 2008 I encourage everyone in San Diego to donate blood at Little Italy in Downtown San Diego. This will be for the American Red Cross Southern California Chapter. This is an urgent appeal for Blood Donors. The Blood Supply has reached critical levels and blood donations are needed immediately. All donations are by appointment only:
3 easy steps to help make a change and safe lives:
There’s so much work to do. I get task from everywhere and meetings to attend, presentations to finish and at our office, we maximize the use of MS Outlook. We share calendars. We set our meetings well and invite people and update them through our calendars.
And today I receive this calendar notice:
While working on my computer at the 17th floor of a building in Downtown San Diego, I felt the tremors right away and looked outside the window. Since all other buildings were not in close proximity, you cannot see that much the strenght of the sway but my window blind were moving to show that this was undeniably an earthquake in San Diego.
Some group of employees ended up going down the stairs from the 17th floor just to safe just in case there were any after effects. We went to a deli about 3 blocks away and stayed there for a while.
After coming back, I checked the epicenter right away. It was at 33.955 degress North and 117.765 degrees West that registered 5.4 on the Ritcher scale detected by Seismographs from USGS, Caltech, CGS, UCB, UCSD and UNR. The location was about 46 kilimeters away from the LA Civic Center.